Saturday, June 26, 2010

SATC in the Big Easy


It had been a month since I had been out in New Orleans. Not really a long time, but it felt like it. In need of a good night out, I grabbed 4 of my girlfriends and hit the town. We started our night out how most people decide to spend a night in. With a movie. But this was not just any movie, and not just at any theatre. The chick flick: Sex and the City 2. The place: the Theatres at Canal Place.

Really and truly I can't think of a better night with my girlfriends. Dressed, of course, in white jeans and frilly summer tops, we met at the bar for drinks. I was running late, naturally. We had reservations for the front row. The front row, while still a bit straining on the eyes, has ottomans. The friend with size 11 feet said this was a must. Indeed it was. Posh seats and waiters to deliver cocktails and delicious Mediterranean fare while watching a movie full of stunning clothes and picturesque scenes with your girlfriends...a girl could not ask for more. Well, she could, a closet full of SATC clothes, and, world peace.

While most people have ixnayed Sex and the City 2, its still a must see. If you don't go see it, its like breaking up with a best friend. How could you? They helped you in good times and in bad. You must return the favor. In true Samantha, Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda style, after the movie, Erin, Kim, Courtney, Megan and I hit the town.
Courtney told us she wanted to introduce us to the cocktail wizard. We were instantly intrigued. She lead us to the sleek new Iris. I did not taste the food, but if the food is as palate pleasing as the decor is visual pleasing than hands down this might be my favorite new restaurant. With a quick look at the menu to see delicacies like foie gras, gnocchi, and duck confit, I instantly knew we could become best friends, especially since my new office is conveniently located ac cross the street. Now to find the boy to take me there...


The cocktail wizard was indeed a cocktail wizard. Have you ever had pine needles crushed into your margarita? Right. Like I said, a wizard, and my frothy tequila concoction magically appeared in a beautiful old glass. Each cocktail comes in a one-of-a-kind glass, and I was slightly envious of the scavenger who rummaged antique stores or garage sales to find glasses circa 1950 to make these beautiful masterpieces. I had to snap a few pictures of this beauty, and that's when I turned into the paparazzi and my friends told me I should start a blog.





Thank you friends, you convinced me to do the one thing I have been wanting to do for so long.



Unique is probably the best word to describe this restaurant. The wallpaper, the cocktail glasses, the jars of goodies on the bar, the colors, the chairs and tables, including the maitre'd. H
e looked like he hadn't showered in several days, but for some reason, it didn't bother me. He made me feel like I had been whisked off to Paris for a night of fun, and I thanked him profusely when we departed for Felipe's, the budget friendly Mexican restaurant next door owned by friend in tow, Courtney.

Right before we
left Iris for Felipe's, Celie and Courtney, the posh owners of the newest Pinkberry store in New Orleans, found out they received a 100% score on their mysterious Pinkberry shopper review. No Pinkberry's get 100%. It just doesn't happen. And, this is their second one in the three short months they had been open. Definitely a cause to celebrate. So, after a complimentary margarita on the house, we decided to step it up a notch and head to the Hermes Bar at Antoine's. Reagan Kostmayer surprised the Stumm girls with a bottle of Veuve, and it was at that point the wheels came off. From there, we headed to Absinthe House and then I left Courtney to meet Erin and Megan at Lafite's since we failed to stay together in the beginning. If you haven't been to Lafitte's, its a must. The purple daqs take like Robitussin, but they are deliciously sick.
Needless to say, the night was a total success. Love my girls and love my hometown.


Someother snapshots of the night:


Erin, the bride-to-be of our group, thought I had lost it when I snapped a picture of her shoes, but it wouldn't be SATC in the Big Easy without a picture of shoes.



Lucky Dogs, a French Quarter staple, will always remind me of Katie and Cameron Gilly.



The history lover that I am had to have a picture in front of the Court House. Beautiful building in the FQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment