Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Plane Ride Over the Pond and Jet Lag on Day 1

On Sunday morning July 18, we departed MSY for London. While everyone was excited about our big adventure, my sister could not contain her excitement for spending eight days straight with me. Our special time together, more commonly referred to as "simple lovin", began on the eight hour flight over to Gatwick.


Lynn S's plane ride hors d'oeuvres. A true savior since Delta served chicken and grits of terrible quality. If only the Concorde was still around.... On the plane ride over, I read from my late grandmother Mimi's journal where she rode the Concorde with my great-grandmother Maw-Maw and my godmother, Deborah, more commonly known as Woo. They served caviar, shrimp and pate for starters, smoked salmon and Alaskan King Crab for second course, filet with mushrooms, string beans, potatoes and salad for third course, cheese and crackers for fourth course and strawberries and whipped cream for fifth course. Wine, champagne and liquor accompaniments with each. Little did I know reading her journal was foreshadowing every meal we had in London.

Sistas


Alma getting annoyed with me getting in her space.


MTM asleep, photo compliments of the agitated sister.


We arrived at Victoria Station from Gatwick at 8:45 AM. So many people! I guess it was rush hour, but I forget how many people populate this world. If you are a people watcher like many of my friends are, this would have been your heaven. Outfits and situations galore. We got in a cab from Victoria Station, and we headed to the Sloane Club. Our home in Chelsea for the next four nights. If you ask my sister about the Sloane Club, she'll tell you that she has never ever slept in a more comfortable bed.




In an attempt to ward off our jet lag, we hopped on the Big Bus Tour. I highly recommend the tour. You can see all the sights in 3 hours, which clears up time for roaming around and shopping. Here is a sample of our sights, at least the ones I saw before I started head bobbing.



The Tower of London


Heads were once placed on these dykes


Oldest building in London

These dragons guard the city of London

Parliament


Big Ben

Trafalgar Square

Her Majesty's Theatre

A picture of the SATC billboard is a must











After a the bus tour, we ended up at the Woseley for a delicious lunch. I had the duck confit, dad had the steak tartare, mom had cheese souffle and Ashley had the most delicious chicken salad with peas and edamame. The waiter told her she was American for ordering the chicken salad. Well duh. But, this chicken salad was nothing like I have ever tasted in America, and it also reaffirmed my love affair with peas.






With a couple of glasses of wine in us and a lot of jet lag, we headed back to the hotel for a nap. Mom and Dad's room was not ready, so the four of us passed out for a nice long nap on top of one King sized bed. Now that is a picture I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment